Digital modes software comes in all type for all types of operating systems. Some are specialized for a single mode, some are for multiple modes while others encompass the kitchen sink so to speak. The vast majority of these digital modes software packages are either free or shareware, although there are some that are commercial packages as well. Instead of grouping these by the modes the list will be done up in alphabetical order.
- Airlink Express, a ‘tip-ware’ digital modes software on the order of DigiPan.
- DigiPan, one of the easiest PSK programs to use.
- DominoEX, a good program to use for NVIS propagation.
- FLDigi, a freeware multi-mode program.
- Ham Radio Deluxe, once freeware and now a commercial package. A ‘kitchen sink’ digital modes software package.
- IZ8BLY Hellschreiber, a free, and very easy to use, program for the popular Hellschreiber digital mode.
- JS8Call, a derivative of the WSJT-X application, restructured and redesigned for keyboard-to-keyboard message passing. It is not supported by nor endorsed by the WSJT-X development group. While the WSJT-X group maintains copyright over the original work and code, JS8Call is a derivative work licensed under and in accordance with the terms of the GPLv3 license.
- JVComm32, commercial program for FAX, RTTY, SYNOP, NAVTEX and SSTV.
- MixW, the leader in multi-mode software, a commercial product.
- MMSSTV by Makoto Mori, JE3HHT, SSTV software.
- MMTTY by Makoto Mori, JE3HHT, actually RTTY is a digital mode.
- MultiPSK, another commercial multi-mode program.
- PC ALE is an ALE controller for PC computers.
- TrueTTY, a commercial RTTY program.
- WinPSK, an older PSK only program.
- WSJT, home of the JT and FT8 modes as well as the standard for EME, FSK441.
- WSPR, referred to as whisper is used to test antennas and propagation.
All of these digital modes software packages have one or more features the others don’t. Some are free and work great while others are commercial and sometime difficult to operate. The best way to determine the right application for your own purposes is to use them and make a decision afterwards. You will encounter sometimes fierce discussions about the pros and cons of any software.